Thread: Getting tons of errors: 'Sorry, the program "wrapper-2.0" closed unexpectedly"

Beans

Getting tons of errors: 'Sorry, the program "wrapper-2.0" closed unexpectedly"

This is really annoying, I am getting tons of dialog boxes showing that error messages, without any hint of what might be the problem.

Is this a known bug? I really do not think that a program repeatedly crashing like that can be anything but a bug. If the program faces an error,
    it should show an error message describing the problem, not just crash.
    Is this known, any idea how to find the causes or how to avoid it?

There is a thread on this forum (https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2485285) which is closed which does not have any solutions or suggestions (not sure what the point of locking an unsolved thread is).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Getting tons of errors: 'Sorry, the program "wrapper-2.0" closed unexpectedly"

Old threads are closed usually when a spammer starts spamming it. The moderators see that spam and close the thread to prevent cruft in these forums.

Any thread over about a month old becomes less useful to solve an issue, because clearly the person looking for a solution has either moved on or stopped providing answers to question or didn't follow through with prior suggestions.

Sometimes there isn't any good answer either.

These forums don't work like others were lots of people add "me too" for similar issues. 1 issue per thread for 1 person. This is because each of our needs and computers are special, needing a customized answer. Now, if someone finds an existing thread helps them solve their problem, that's fantastic. But based on history, we know that systems are seldom identical and slightly different answers are needed for each individual and each computer.

Nobody can help with the issue you've posted. No OS listed. No version listed. No DE listed. No description of what you were doing at the time listed. Did you look at the system log files for the time to see what they say? That's the 1st step in seeking answers for any problems on Unix-like OSes. Linux isn't MacOS or MS-Windows.

If you want to complain, that's find. Have at it.
    If you are interested in help solving the problem, answer the questions asked and check the system logs.

Beans

Re: Getting tons of errors: 'Sorry, the program "wrapper-2.0" closed unexpectedly"

If you're talking about '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/wrapper-2.0', then that's a program for running the panel-plugins found in '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/xfce4/panel/plugins/'. Those are published as shared objects (*.so) and can't be run on their own (as i already said in the thread you're linking to). It's a lot more likely that it's the plugin crashing than the wrapper; but the wrapper is the owner of the process and apport (the crash reporting system) can't really tell all the wrapper processes apart (There's quite a few of them, as I'm writing this there are eight xfce-panel-plugins running on my system). One method to find out which plugin is the problematic one would be to generate a list of all the plugins running (ps ax| grep '[w]rapper-2.0'>listOfPlugins.txt) when you start working. After a crash occurs, generate another list and compare the two.

Holger